Saturday, March 3, 2012

What's hot in social media?

 The only thing that changes faster than a politician's opinion after an exit poll is what's hot in social media.  And this week's star of the show is Pinterest.

When I first discovered Pinterest I though "How quaint!" and kept on moving.  It seemed like a fun thing but not really of much use to me, even socially - and certainly not for my businesses.  Then somehow I went back for another peek a couple of weeks later and was drawn in by the fun of being able to keep - or 'pin' - the things that made me smile so that I could revisit them at some later date. 

And revisit I did.  And again.  And again.

It was only after a fair few social visits that I began to realise that Pinterest could actually be a good way to share my work and get it seen. 

So I uploaded a dress that I'd made for my sewing venture mooandflo, and sure enough within about 3 minutes I'd got an email saying it had been repinned umpteen times and liked by gazillions of others (where gazillions = maybe five).

I even pinned my flobusiness logo, which has been liked and repinned for heaven knows what reason.  Maybe it's the dashing curve of the line, the bold use of orange, who knows. 

My interest was piqued.

So now I upload and pin most things I make, and I've found it does indeed lead to more views on the blogs and even the odd like on Facebook, though it's yet to lead to a sale.  Whether it's a good use of my time is yet to be seen.

Will it be a continue to be a phenomenal hit?  Will the bubble burst?   Will it prove itself useful to businesses in the long term?  Who knows? 

Either way, I seem to be hooked.

~ Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment